Dear Riverside BIA Members,
For June 10th, here is the latest to help keep the Riverside BIA community informed throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. Previous editions of Riverside BIA COVID-19 E-news here.
- Black Lives Matter
- Province Extends Emergency Orders to June 16
- Toronto Public Health Issues Re-Opening Guidance for RESTAURANTS & PERSONAL SERVICES
- City Announces CafeTO & Riverside BIA is On Board
- Reminder: Apply for Property Tax Deferral
- Neighbourhood News: Ontario Line Updates
- Who To Call/Quick Small Business Resources During COVID-19
- Featured Riverside Businesses
BLACK LIVES MATTER
In the last couple weeks, we have seen an uprising in activism and protests across the globe and in our own city. The Riverside BIA would like to assert its commitment as an equal opportunity, inclusive organization within the community. We are aware of the current events and are determined to continue promoting and learning about the range of issues and resources available. We support our community and those all over the world that are working towards a better future for all.
Part of our role as a BIA is to promote local businesses and help maintain a vibrant, welcoming commercial main street. In light of events around the world, as one way of showing our support, we will be taking this opportunity to better highlight and elevate our members of the BIPOC (Black, as well as Indigenous and People of Color) community. As a part of our ‘Riverside BIA: 40 Years, 40 Stories’ series and beyond, we would like to help share the stories of BIPOC, who are leaders in this vibrant and resilient community, which has seen so much change over the past several decades. If you have a story you would like to share, please connect with us at email@example.com
In the meantime, we’d also like to share some resources: Black Owned Businesses in the GTA and Black Lives Matter Legal Resources
PROVINCE EXTENDS EMERGENCY ORDERS TO JUNE 19
The Province extended emergency orders set to expire June 9 until June 19, including:
A reminder: call the Stop the Spread Business Information Line if you have questions about the status of your business: 1-888-444-3659.
TORONTO PUBLIC HEALTH ISSUES RE-OPENING GUIDANCE FOR RESTAURANTS & PERSONAL SERVICES
Toronto Public Health is providing guidance to safely reopen restaurants for indoor and outdoor dining, and personal service settings for personal care services once provincial orders are lifted for these sectors of the economy. Business owners are advised to begin preparing for reopening but are not permitted to begin operating until the revised order under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act is announced by the Government of Ontario and comes into effect.
To reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19 to staff and clients, physical distancing measures, enhanced cleaning and disinfection, and other public health requirements must be followed when businesses reopen.
The full media release from the City is here.
CITY OF TORONTO ANNOUNCES CAFETO & RIVERSIDE BIA IS ON BOARD
The City of Toronto has announced its intention to implement the #CafeTO program (once restaurants are permitted to reopen), allowing restaurants to have more space for patios. This will allow restaurants to serve more customers while maintaining safe physical distancing. For more information click here
The Riverside BIA has created a CafeTO block-by-block proposal which includes several patio zones within the BIA. We will be conducting a walkbaout with City staff and consultants this week.
Please join us at the Riverside BIA Weekly Member Zoom meeting to get the scoop on CafeTO in Riverside and discuss your questions:
Zoom Mtg info: June 11, 2pm, join us at https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81023726836 OR Dial in: 647 374 4685 Canada
REMINDER: APPLY FOR PROPERTY TAX DEFERRAL
The City of Toronto is enabling property owners to request additional time to pay their taxes without incurring late payment penalties or interest charges for a six month period effective June 1 to November 30, 2020. Get additional information and apply
NEIGHBOURHOOD NEWS: ONTARIO LINE UPDATESHearings are being held this week on Bill 171: An Act to enact the Building Transit Faster Act, 2020 which includes the Ontario Line transit project. A number of stakeholders within our community, including the Riverside BIA, are concerned about the impacts of this Bill in its current form and will be speaking (via Zoom) to voice concerns and request changes to the Standing Committee on Social Policy for the Legislative Assembly of Ontario. You can watch the public hearings this week here.
Find more information from Metrolinx about the Ontario Line including Public Notices of work in our neighbourhood here
If you would like to join a community conversation on this project, visit the EETA Facebook Page
WHO TO CALL/ QUICK SMALL BUSINESS RESOURCES DURING COVID-19
- Have workplace health & safety questions? Workplace Safety and Prevention Services (WSPS) Free Hotline to Contact a WSPS Health & Safety Consultant with your questions Monday to Friday: 7am – 7pm, 1-877-494-WSPS (9777), Contact a Health & Safety Consultant.
- Need Reopening Guidance? The City of Toronto is hosting Free webinars for re-openings, starting with the Retail sector: Thursday, June 11, 11:00 a.m. – Register
- Need FREE Legal Guidance on CECRA or other government support programs? Please contact: Erica on: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wondering about the status of your business during COVID-19 or what re-opening Phase your business would be part of? call the Stop the Spread Business Information Line if you have questions about the status of your business: 1-888-444-3659.
- Need to speak to an accounting professional? The Canadian Business Resilience Network (CBRN) has a free service to connect to an advisor from the accounting profession for questions about COVID-19 financial support options, help making decisions on recovery plants and more. 7 days a week: 8am-8pm, call 1-866-989-1080. The City of Toronto also has upcoming webinars to Ask an Accountant – Wednesday, June 10, 3:30 p.m. – Register
- Need advice on which COVID-19 programs to apply to? Try the City of Toronto’s BusinessTO Support Centre
- Need PPE? If you are a Riverside BIA member, get your initial FREE supply via the Riverside BIA Member Care Kit – contact email@example.com to get yours. For ongoing supplies access the Province of Ontario’s PPE suppliers list or Riverside BIA’s list of local Toronto PPE and business health & safety equipment suppliers
- Need Re-Opening Signage? Riverside BIA has FREE re-opening signage for our members – just contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org 416-466-8167
- Looking to start up an e-commerce site to diversify your revenue in light of COVID-19? Get a free site with ShopHERE
- Looking for $$ to improve your storefront this year? Apply for a Facade grant from the City of Toronto deadline is July 9. Get Details and Apply
- More free resources listed on Riverside BIA website (photography, business coaching program, website support, digital services…)
FEATURED RIVERSIDE BUSINESSES
Our friends Jon and Cheryl at J & C Toronto Realty
have launched the Love-19 Challenge to support local businesses in Toronto’s Riverside neighbourhood during COVID-19. Anyone can SIGN UP TO WIN free gifts card and/or nominate their ‘fav business for gift card purchase. Lucky winners have so far enjoyed gift cards from Eastbound Brewing Co and Dirty Pawz Dog Wash. Details at https://jc.love-19.com/