Dear Riverside BIA Members,
For July 16, here is the latest to help keep the Riverside BIA community informed. Previous editions of Riverside BIA E-news here.
- Looking Toward Stage 3 – Resources to Get Ready
- Face Masks/Coverings in Indoor Public Spaces – The Bylaw and The Reality
- GOVT News: CEWS, Private Patios, Mass Gatherings
- Reminder: Group PPE Rate For Riverside BIA Members & Request Your FREE Member Care Kit
- CafeTO Update for All Riverside BIA Members
- Pls Take Our Survey – Virtual Events & Online Marketplace for Riverside BIA Members
- Business Grants & Other Opportunities Available
- Featured Riverside Businesses
LOOKING TOWARD STAGE 3 – RESOURCES TO GET READY
While the Stage 3 reopening of most regions in Ontario on Friday, July 17, 2020, does not include us here in Toronto, now is the time to start looking at getting ready. Always know that, once the Province gives to green light, it is still your business’ decision to take your time before reopening/ removing restrictions.
QUICK RESOURCES FOR STAGE 3
- For reopening info go to Ontario.ca/reopen and find sector-specific guidance at Ontario.ca/COVIDsafety
- Stage 3 Questions? call the Stop the Spread Business Information Line at 1-888-444-3659, or try the Free Hotline to Contact a WSPS Health & Safety Consultant 1-877-494-WSPS (9777)
- Need PPE? As a Riverside BIA member, enjoy PPE Group Rates and delivery with Evrlinx – ORDER by Thursdays to get your PPE delivered the following Thursday. Riverside BIA members are also able to access a free initial Care Kit of PPE and signage – get yours by replying to this email!
- Will you still not be able to open or resume full activities due to Stage 3 restrictions? Visit Ontario.ca/reopen to submit a reopening proposal.
FACE MASKS/COVERINGS IN INDOOR PUBLIC SPACES –
THE BYLAW AND THE REALITY
The Mandatory Face Mask/Covering City of Toronto By-Law 541-2020 .is now in effect. Owners and operators of establishments open to the public are responsible for:
- Developing a policy (sample here) to ensure members of the public wear a mask or face covering upon entry, and within all enclosed spaces.
- Posting signage, visible at all entrances of the establishment, reminding people to wear a mask or face covering. (If you need a printed copy of this signage please ask us firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Train all persons working at the establishment regarding the policy and bylaw.
Learn more about the guidelines for mandatory mask usage in enclosed public places in this on-demand webinar.
Riverside BIA has heard from some business members of a few incidents of individuals who are clearly not respecting the bylaw and there have been reports in the news of fake mask exemption cards, and some unsafe incidents between businesses and members of the public where situations have escalated.
As always, please practice safety first for your business and staff, rather than engaging. If you have any questions about the bylaw you can contact Toronto Public Health (416-338-7600) and/or if any concerning incidents do occur you can report to the Toronto Police Services non-emergency service when it is safe to do so (416-808-2222).
GOVT NEWS: CEWS, PRIVATE PATIOS, MASS GATHERINGS
- CEWS Extension: On July 13th, the federal government announced they will be extending the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy until December 2020. More details to come.
- Zoning for Private Patios: The City of Toronto has received a new Ministerial Zoning Order (MZO) from the Province of Ontario that will help ease zoning restrictions on outdoor patios while allowing for expanded patios on private property, including parking areas. See more information on the CafeTO website – ‘Patios on Private Property’ tab
- Mass Gatherings Cancellation Extended: City of Toronto is extending the cancellation of City-led and City-permitted outdoor special events through September 30. All outdoor special event permits through to September 30 are cancelled.
REMINDER: GROUP PPE RATE FOR RIVERSIDE BIA MEMBERS &
REQUEST YOUR FREE MEMBER CARE KIT
Riverside BIA is working with Evrlinx to help provide you with a stable, affordable, Canadian-made source of high quality PPE.
ORDER NOW: https://www.evrlinx.com/bia
Please choose ‘Riverside’ on the Drop-down menu. Orders made by Thursdays at 11:59pm will be delivered by the following Thursday. If you need advice or are looking for additional equipment for purchase, Evrlinx offers free 10-15 min phone consultation: T: (613) 659 – 3604, email@example.com
Reminder: FREE Riverside BIA Member Care Kit: IF YOU HAVE NOT YET got your Free Riverside BIA Member Care Kit, please REPLY TO THIS EMAIL to arrange drop off or pick up. This free one-time kit includes PPE: a box of civilian masks, 2 face shields, 2 pump hand sanitizers, box of gloves, a variety of social distancing, etc floor stickers, and useful public health signage.
IMPORTANT CAFETO UPDATE FOR ALL RIVERSIDE BIA MEMBERS
The Riverside BIA CafeTO program is now going into it’s 3rd week – local restaurant and bar establishments have been working very hard to bring great patio spaces together, despite ups and downs in the weather. CafeTO is an exciting program that aims to help every local business by driving increased foot traffic to the neighbourhood and specifically provide more outdoor dining areas to help restaurants and bars create physical distancing for patrons on outdoor patios during the summer/early fall months.
The program was officially launched in Riverside with Mayor Tory at Eastbound Brewery on July 1 and 12 participating establishments have since set up patios within the six curblane closures in our BIA to date. These closures will be in place until the program ends in November 2020.
SEE MAP OF PATIOS OPERATING IN RIVERSIDE (UPDATED REGULARLY)
We appreciate the understanding and efforts of all Riverside businesses and community members regarding this program as it is causing a temporary reduction in public parking and requires some businesses and residents to put out their garbage and recycling for City pick up to the sides of the closures. THANK YOU to everyone for working together to make this collaborative business recovery program a success.
If you are looking for more information or if you have questions or concerns at any time about the CafeTO program and how we can improve it in Riverside, please contact our office at 416-466-8167 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLEASE TAKE OUR SURVEY –
VIRTUAL EVENTS & ONLINE MARKETPLACE FOR RIVERSIDE BIA MEMBERS
The Riverside Business Improvement Area (BIA) supports its 100+ business members located along Queen Street East from Davies Avenue to Empire Avenue through initiatives to attract people to shop, dine and enjoy Riverside. To help improve resiliency and recovery from the pandemic, we are developing and testing a Riverside BIA Virtual Events Space and an Online Marketplace for YOU, our Riverside business members.
TAKE THE SURVEY
Please take 5 minutes to fill out our survey to help us determine the ‘wishlist’ of desired features for the platforms we are developing. As a BIA member, you will be able to participate at no cost in these programs.
BUSINESS GRANTS/RESOURCES AVAILABLE
- DIGITAL MAIN STREET: Businesses can now apply for a $2,500 grant to help implement new technologies to support their businesses. The program is delivered by Digital Main Street thanks to funding from the Federal and Provincial governments. Even if you have received this grant in the past, you can apply.
- ShopHERE powered by Google: Get hands-on assistance with setting up and launching a Shopify online store quickly, easily and at no cost.
- BusinessAdviceTO SisterTalk (BIWOC) Black Indigenous Women of Colour Biz Mentorship Circle is Thursdays, 10 a.m. – Register
- More FREE resources
FEATURED RIVERSIDE BUSINESSES
Sign up for virtual classes and/or classes
in Jimmie Simpson Park with Chi Junky Yoga & Wellness Studio:
Welcome to the Riverside neighbourhood, Night Owl at 725 Queen St E (former Jasper Dandy space). Follow them on Instagram and check out their patio dining!